Monday, July 8, 2013

Week 4

This week has been a pretty good one.  My District contains eight Elders and six of them are in our Ward. They are all really cool and we're becoming better friends every day. We're playing sports today which should be fun. I washed my clothes in a bucket for the first time in my life. It's not my favorite experience but hey, they got clean. Our dryer is broken so we have to hang our clothes around the flat for them to dry. They should be fixing the dryer this week though for which I am grateful.

We went over to our Bishop’s house twice this week. Last Monday they wanted us to give them an FHE lesson so we read the first 6 verses of Alma 50 and talked about how we can compare the defenses of that city with the defenses we need in our lives today. Then on Friday it was their daughter’s 20th birthday so they invited us over for dinner along with the District leaders. After dinner we sang hymns and shared our favorite scriptures. 

Last Sunday a guy showed up at Church and his name was Mluleki.  We taught him two lessons this week and he seems really interested and committed. He's been dating a girl for three years and she's a member and he wants to find out more about the Church because he wants to marry her. So we've been doing our best with him. He was supposed to come to Church yesterday and we were going to meet with him afterwards but he ended up being busy which totally bummed me out. He's a really powerful guy and already has a strong belief in God and prayer so he just needs to learn the whole truth and he can't do that if he doesn't come to our appointments. We'll hopefully meet with him sometime this week.

Our other investigators seem to be progressing. There's a women named Zita who we've been teaching and has a baptismal date but we're going to push it back a bit because she doesn't seem fully ready.  We are trying to get her husband to start coming to the lessons too so we're going over there tonight later at night so he can be there. If we can baptize the whole family that would be awesome.

One thing that happened in our last lesson with her is we were talking about her relationship with God and how she feels when she reads the Book of Mormon. She said she feels that her relationship with God is growing but she doesn't really feel anything when she reads. I told her that I had a similar problem when I first started reading. I would easily get distracted and then not really learn a whole lot so I started praying before I read and that really helped me to focus and to learn and grow. She seemed to really like that idea and she said the closing prayer and mentioned that in her prayer. It was so awesome to me that what I was telling her was already making a difference in her life and I hope it will continue to bless her as she reads and learns about the gospel. It was such a cool experience.

The rest of the week was a little slow. We had four appointments one day but three of them fell through which was sad. We're still doing our best though. University is about to start up again which should mean a lot more students and a lot more people to teach which is what I am excited for.

This last Sunday was a super spiritual and powerful one. It was awesome to hear all of the people’s testimonies. Our Ward here is a lot smaller than the one back home but there weren't any pauses in between people because everyone wanted to go up and share. I didn't go up because I had just introduced myself the week before and bore my testimony then.

That night we had a hymn-a-long, where everyone was invited to come and sing hymns for an hour. It was so awesome, I loved it. Most everyone sang but then we had a duet by two eight year old boys who sang Families Can Be Together Forever. Then we as missionaries sang the South Africa Cape Town Mission Anthem which everyone loved. After the hymn-a-long a women asked me and three other Elders to sing I Believe in Christ for her.  We did and by the time we were done she was in tears. It was such a spiritual moment and I was so glad that we were able to do that for her.

I know that I've only been out for a month but I've already learned so much and I've been able to help other people. This mission has truly been an amazing experience and I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to serve. I love you all.

Until next week,

Elder Kupka