Monday, July 29, 2013

Week 7


Last Monday we didn't get to go to waterfront like we had planned because a guy in our ward called us to give his fiance’s sister a blessing. She was supposed to be in town for only a day but ended up getting appendicitis and had to go to the hospital. It kind of ruined our P-day but he took us out to the waterfront Saturday night and bought us milkshakes and dessert. We're hopefully going to go today to do some shopping. I think if I buy you guys stuff that I'll just keep it in a safe at the mission office instead of sending it home because I know a guy who sent a cheap little ring home and it ended up costing him $30 to send it.

It's crazy that Ryan is driving. I'm sure he'll get used to it soon though. It was weird driving on the wrong side of the road the first time I drove here but I got used to it pretty quickly. That's cool about the man at your work pointing out on the picture where I live. We are in a flat complex called Rhodesview in Rosebank next to the Rondebosch Common which is just a giant park. I'm sure if you Google Earth it or something you could find it.

I haven't gotten a new camera yet because this week is the other Elder’s last week. I've still been able to take pictures with mine just not see them until I get on a computer. I'm waiting until we clean our flat to send a picture of it. We clean it for burrito night where our District comes over and we have burritos but it's always a mess by the time we’re finished. I'll send pictures soon though.

I didn't really see any celebration for Nelson Mandela's birthday but I did see some posters about it. That's awesome that you guys will probably be able to come pick me up! There are a lot of cool places that I can show you. The thing is if I don't spend most of my mission in Cape Town then my other areas could be far outstretched along the whole country and it would be hard to visit them. Mtata is the farthest away area and that's a 10 hour drive.

Honestly, I don't know what I would want for Christmas. The things I miss most are you guys, your cooking, and Dr. Pepper. You can find DP here but it's very rare and doesn't taste the exact same. I love hearing from you and hearing about what’s going on in your lives. I haven't been very trunky (homesick) yet. I'm loving Africa though. I definitely have realized that this is where I'm supposed to be. I love everything about it and I'm having such a good time here.

This week has been a very good but very rough week. Don't freak out when I tell you this but last Monday our flat was broken into. We left at 10:30 a.m. and didn't get back till 8:30 p.m. When we got back we noticed that the place was messier than it usually is and that things were not where we left them. They took our DVD player that the mission supplies to watch training videos on, they took Elder Sombke's iPod, my Kanga pouch that had my 16gb SD card that I hadn't opened yet, some headphones I found in the pocket of my jacket that I didn't mean to bring and some batteries. I also had my olive oil in there but they left it on my desk.

They also took our corn flakes which we got for a one day only price, a jar of peanut butter, a bottle of honey, and a container of sugar. I don't really care about any of the stuff that was taken. I luckily had my camera and money and important stuff on me. It just stinks for Elder Sombke because his iPod had some pictures of his family on it.

The rest of the week was good for the most part. Pinky is an investigator who they had before I got here but was on holiday because she is a UCT student. She's back and we taught her a lesson. She's still very interested and will hopefully be baptized soon. We taught Sister Zita and Jean Jacque the rest of the Plan of Salvation and they really liked it. Jean Jacque has a lot of questions and we answered them the best we could. It's also hard for them to come to church because of work. South Africa has 30% unemployment so it's hard to tell people to quit their jobs but we're trying to work through that.

We asked Jean Jacque if he would be baptized and he said yes, if he receives his answer. So we'll hopefully baptize them soon but Jean Jacque probably can't come to church this whole month so that will make it difficult. We had some good lessons this week and I am getting much more comfortable teaching people.

I went on exchanges with my District leader and we taught Grace who is from the DRC. I had just met the guy and then had to teach him the Law of Chastity. I thought it was going to be awkward but it turned out not to be. He said that he's going to talk to his girlfriend and probably end up breaking up with her because he doesn't think she'll be too excited by the idea. It was cool to see his willingness to live the commandments though. He's not even my investigator and I was still so happy to see him accept it.

Our next lesson was cut short however because I threw up a few times in his bathroom and then about ten more times on the way back home. I don't know why I was throwing up but I think I might be allergic to something in the food here; but I don't really know. I think some people would be discouraged by getting robbed and throwing up a ton in the same week. For me though, I thought this was one of the greatest weeks on the mission so far because of all of the teaching we did and the way that I've been able to positively influence people.

So please don't worry about me even though I tell you these things that are going wrong because I truly am loving it here and loving the work. It's made me so happy and I don't think anything can take that away from me. I'm apparently in one of the hardest areas to work in and we don't have a car but I've loved every minute of it and am so glad that I'm here doing the Lord's work. I love you all and love hearing from you.



Love,
Elder Kupka






                                                        Rondebosch Common from Google Earth