Monday, August 5, 2013

Week 8


Sorry about this being late, we went to the marketplace this morning and then I had my first Brai (barbecue) so I wasn't able to get on the computer until late.  I also have to go soon because we're getting haircuts in an hour and the place is 20 minutes away.

About the break-in, I don't really have anything of value that someone could take. I always have my camera and money on me. My passport is kept at the mission office and then we have a copy that is signed by the post office saying that it’s official.  I would have felt worse for the burglars if we would have been home because if they were small enough to fit through our bathroom window then they were small enough for me to beat them up.

All of the water in South Africa is filtered so there is no malaria here. I think I just was allergic to something I ate. I don't really need you to send me anything because I'm not a high maintenance person and anything I did need I could just buy here.  That way you also don’t have to worry about Customs or losing things in the mail.  

Apparently my old camera took pictures that were very large in size so this new one should be even better to send them on. Unfortunately, the computer I am on today won’t let me upload.  I will send pictures as soon as I can.

The weather has been pretty warm. Last week was rainy and kind of cold but for the most part it is just hot and sunny all of the time. I was talking to our second counselor at the Brai today and he said that it doesn't get much hotter than this even in the Summer. It rains here more than Utah but not a whole lot. And, as for Namibia I've been meaning to tell you that as of July 1 Namibia is no longer a part of our mission. It's part of Botswana which used to be part of the Joburg mission. So, no, I will not be going there. Ask more questions because I like to answer them.

On a normal Pday we're here from 10:30 am until about 1:00 pm - usually not that long.  It's just been a very busy day and a very hectic week. This week we had a lot of lessons set up but they all managed to fall through except for two of them. One was a less active member and we taught her the lesson called the Gospel of Christ. It went very well which kind of surprised me because I'd never taught it before. It turned out to be the most I've ever talked in a lesson which helps me because I'm beginning to become the best missionary I can.

The other lesson was with a girl named Pinky. We've been trying to meet with her almost every day since the previous Sunday. It finally worked out this last Sunday. She hasn't been reading or praying so it was a “do or die” lesson for her. I think she began to realize how important it is for her to read and pray if she really wants to find out. During the week I was thinking about her and it kind of just came to me that I should tell her to read on the bus. When we talked to her about it she said that she has 30 minutes to an hour of travel time and that she is never really doing anything important. So I told her to read the Book of Mormon and pray while she's on the bus. The member who came with us to the discussion downloaded the scriptures to her phone so now she has no excuse. I hope it works out for her. We can't see her until next Sunday because she's an art student and is in the studio until 11:00 pm every night.

Some other fun experiences were that we got to pick up the Fishhoek Elders car from the panelbeaters and drive it back to the mission office because they live an hour away. I really like driving here. It's fun to drive on the other side of the road. Most likely my next area will have a car which should be great but not so great for my health because I really have lost a lot of weight so far.

We also went on exchanges this week. I was with Elder Cathemer and we went tracting for a bit. The thing with tracting here is that everyone has giant fences with electric wires on top (which aren't usually turned on I've found out) so we just push intercom buttons and they talk through there. One guy actually came outside but when he saw us he put his hands in the air and yelled "Jesus Christ!" and then walked back inside. We later went to get dinner at a pizza place and we saw him walking out with a bunch of boxes of pizza. We just smiled and waved and he looked very astonished to see us again. It was pretty funny.

We also met a Wiccan while tracting. This was a normal door where she actually had to come open it. I said, “Hello, we're missionaries and we share a special message about the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ” and then she went off.  She told us how we are so unfair to be going around trying to force our religion on people and how we are so evil and we didn't even try to find out her story first. We hadn't said more than ten words and she just freaked out.

So Elder Cathemer asked her what her story was and she said that she's a Wiccan and worships the seasons and doesn't believe in Jesus Christ. I was very confused and astonished. Elder Cathemer told her that he had met a Wiccan before. Her reply to this was that she should have stabbed him in the back. Again I was very surprised so Elder Cathemer asked her if there is anything service-wise that we could do for her and she said, “You can give me $10,000 to go to Julliard in the States” but before we could even answer she said, “You're probably not going to do that” and slammed the door harder than I've ever seen a door slam in my life. When I was told that I was going to get doors slammed in my face I never expected anything like this. It did make for a cool story though.

The only other notable thing that happened was that over the weekend we had two other Elders stay with us because their flat had become infested with black mold. It was "fun". These two guys were about ready to kill each other because they did not get along. I guess it’s a good thing that they got sent to stay with us so they didn't kill each other and luckily transfers are on Wednesday. That's all I have to report. I love and miss you guys. My click day is in 8 days and I'll be turning 2 months which is pretty crazy to think about. I can't believe how fast the time has flown by.

Love you all,
Elder Kupka