Monday, August 19, 2013

Week 10


I loved being able to email back and forth with you last week, Mom, even though it was the middle of the night for you. Sorry. It makes me excited for Christmas when we can Skype. That's still a few months away though so emails will have to do for now.

The weather there sounds way too hot. Good thing it’s winter here. This last week has been pretty cold and it's rained every single day. We were walking one day and we got completely soaked in five minutes. It was a good thing that I had on that rain jacket Dad got me. The rain did soak through my backpack and got my scriptures a little wet. I didn't have them in a case because I assumed the backpack would be enough. Guess not. They're still usable and it's not too bad but I'm thinking about getting a new set.

The dogs sound crazy as always. Brother Mike has three dogs and they don't look anything like ours but they always remind me of them. If you could send some talks that would be nice. We usually just study the scriptures and the Preach My Gospel manual. There is a missionary library set that I can get from the Distribution Center in Jo-burg, if I need them.

The State Fair sounds like fun. It has been awhile since we've gone but they were usually pretty good times when we did. Who knows, maybe you'll come back with a bunny like we did that one time. As for me, this week has been a pretty good one. We still have the Meadowridge Elders staying in our flat. Mornings are pretty hectic because of it but other than that we’re fine.

We played Trivial Pursuit from the 1980s last night because we had some time before bed. I didn't understand half of the questions. Last Tuesday we went to a piano concert by David Glen Hatch. All of the missionaries serving in Cape Town went. It was really cool and they were very good and I was impressed but it went for two hours which was a bit too long. There was one point where a lady was turning the page and apparently it was too early so he pretty much back handed the page out of her hand. It was funny and everyone started laughing.

We were bummed though because it made us miss our appointment with Sister Zita and Jean Jacque and we haven't been able to meet with them for our last 3 or 4 appointments.  We're going there on Thursday come Hell or high water. Sister Zita did come to church this last week which was awesome. Pinky, our other investigator, is being a bit stubborn and I don't know what to do with her. She's thinking of taking a break which would be sad. We send her an SMS everyday reminding her to read and pray and we suggest scriptures to her sometimes but it doesn't seem to be helping.

We also had a Zone meeting this last week and it lasted for quite a while. They talked about the things missionaries are doing wrong and some policy changes and some training on using time wisely and a new way to plan for investigators. It was good and I got some ideas out of it. It's always a good time when you bring the 16 Elders in our Zone together. That's all I can really think of for this week. The Church is true and I find new revelations on that every day.

Love you guys,
Elder Kupka



PS – the computer won’t let me upload pictures so I will send more next week.