Monday, September 9, 2013

Week 13


This week has been a bit of a slower one. Elder Sombke is still sick and we went to the doctor on Tuesday. So we didn't really do a whole lot until Wednesday. I was on exchanges with my District Leader Elder Radebe that day. We didn't really have a lot going on since we had been stuck at the flat for a while. So we went up to UCT and handed out pass along cards to the students. They’re cards that tell people to SMS a number with their name and address to get a free Finding Faith in Christ DVD. A lot of people seemed interested and we handed out 25 of them but we still haven't gotten any DVDs to deliver yet. So that kind of stinks.

That night we had an appointment with the Kolombos. They are a family from the DRC who are members. It was cool to hear Brother Kolombo’s conversion story because he used to be a pastor. He found out about our church and learned that it is true and then tried to tell his family. His kids were a little difficult to get to come around but eventually they did and now two of them are on missions.

We didn't really know what we were going to teach them when we went in because my companion had set up the appointment so Elder Radebe just turned to me in the middle of the lesson and asked me to share a spiritual thought. If he had asked me to do that when I first got here I would have freaked out a bit. Now I just pulled out my scriptures and was able to share a nice thought with them. It showed me how much I've already progressed in these first few months. I know there are still things that I need to work on but I'm learning more and more every day.

Our next lesson was with Sister Zita. Jean-Jacque has been too busy with work to be able to meet with us and we haven't been able to have a lesson with them for a while because of it. Sister Zita wanted us to come over because she had time and she missed having us around. When we got there one of the first things she said was, "When am I going to be baptized?" That really made me so happy. It has been a rough couple of weeks for us between Elder Sombke getting sick and some of our other investigators dropping us. I guess the Lord allows us to go low before He lifts us up again. It was seriously so great when she said that. We still have some more lessons to teach her and she's trying to talk to her boss to get more Sundays off so some things still have to happen, but I'm so excited for her and it is going to be so awesome when we finally can baptize her.

On Sunday we were sitting in Gospel Principles class waiting for it to start when Salem, who is Brother Kolombo’s son, walked in with a girl and says that he just went outside to make a phone call and met Brenda on the street and invited her to church. So she came and sat in on the class. She says she's born again and she meets with the Christian Society at UCT but she's a new investigator and I'm very excited to start teaching her.

Next week is the Cape Town Stake Conference. It's at the Cape Town International Convention Center and I'm really looking forward to it. It will be the first time that the whole stake has been in the same room in eight years. We've been singing in a Stake choir and we'll be singing High on the Mountain Top and All Creatures of Our God and King. It's going to be awesome. This could be the last time the Stake is together though because they are very close to splitting into two Stakes. That will be a great day. The church is growing here more and more every day. It's so wonderful to see. I'm glad that I am here to be a part of it and help out in any way that I can.

I'm doing my best and hopefully things will start picking up for us. This is the last week of the Transfer. Elder Sombke will most likely be leaving because he's been here for six months but next Monday I'll know who my new companion is going to be and then on Wednesday I'll go pick him up from the mission home. Things are going great and I love it here. I miss you all a lot but I still love being here.

Love,

Elder Kupka