Monday, November 11, 2013

Week 22

I miss Sunday dinner at Grandma's house with everyone. Tell Lynnie to name her baby after me. I'm probably going to get an iPod today. I have enough money to buy one and I can get a decent one here. It will be more expensive getting it here but when you add in the shipping costs and the high possibility of it getting stolen in the mail it will be easiest if I just buy it. We haven't been taking as many pictures recently but I'll get some more to send home soon.

It’s nice that it isn't winter yet for you guys. I really enjoy Fall in Utah because it's not too hot and it's not too cold and everything looks cool. It's definitely Summer here. Or at least I hope it is because if it gets much hotter I'm going to die and start campaigning for missionaries to be able to wear shorts or at least Polynesian skirts.

Our Primary program is in two Sundays and it's a combined meeting with the Primaries from Sada and Illenge so it should be a fun Sunday. The baptism pictures are the only ones I can think of for you to send but any family pictures you can find would be great. I do remember all of Aunt Carrie's CTR acronyms and I'll try my best to not start any forest fires out here. There aren’t a lot of trees to set on fire in the middle of the desert though.

Last Monday we had FHE with Daryll and Lianet. They've now made it to church two weeks in a row and Lianet has agreed to be baptized. We want Daryll to be the one to baptize her though so as he starts coming back to church and doing all of the things he should be doing it will go well for them.

At the FHE Daryll made a chicken bacon mushroom pasta that was soo good! He is such an awesome cook and I love his food. We then watched a Mormon Messages about the testimonies of Jesus Christ and the Book of Mormon. They are very powerful. The one about Jesus Christ is a collection of different Apostles testimonies about Him and the Book of Mormon one is Jeffery R. Holland's talk about it. The spirit was very strong and it was a very nice evening.  Lianet’s father even joined us so it was extra special.

Tuesday we had some very good lessons. We taught Sivu about tithing. Sivu also had his baptism interview last night and he is ready to be baptized this coming Sunday. I'm so excited for him. He's an awesome guy and he's going to make a great member of the church. He wanted Brother Jaxa, who is his uncle and the ward mission leader, to baptize him but he has been very sick the past few weeks. He was in Port Elizabeth to see a specialist and when he got back he still wasn't feeling good so he was admitted to the hospital on Friday. Hopefully he gets feeling better in time but if not one of his sons will baptize Sivu.

We also had an FHE lesson with the Hinanas on Tuesday. They are a member family and they feed us every Sunday after Church. They are in the Mlungisi Elders area and they were supposed to be with us but they got tied up at another appointment so it was just Elder Slabbert and me. We shared a video from the Hastening the Work of Salvation online clips. It went very well and afterward they fed us Mpogoqo. It was my first time eating it and it wasn't my favorite food. It's basically pap and amasi which is sour milk. They love it here and it wasn't terrible but it is very filling and I couldn't even finish a bowl.

On Thursday we took our car in to get the A/C fixed. We took it in at 8:00 in the morning thinking it would be finished soon. They ended up keeping it the whole day and we thought we were going to have to walk to all of our appointments. Luckily Elder and Sister Thomas weren't busy and they were able to drive us around but they had to leave at 2:00 pm to meet up with another senior couple who were coming into town for boarding inspections and Zone meeting.  We thought we were going to have to walk from one end of our Area to the other and it was going to be very far. But Elder and Sister Boyce brought a brand new Toyota Etios to give us and our Chevy Aveo was headed back to Mthata. So we didn't have to walk at all. The only Ks on the Etios were from the drive from East London and it still smells new.

The only downside is that it's a manual. I've driven it all day twice and I can get around but I'm still not perfect and starting on hills is definitely not my strong point. Hopefully I will get used to it soon. I think Elder Slabbert thinks we're going to die every time I drive but he's patient enough with me to let me continue to learn and we haven't died yet!

Friday was Zone meeting so we had the Elders from Mthata here and we had a great Zone meeting. Afterwards the Boyce's and Thomas' bought us all pizza which was very nice and then we made a video for the mission DVD. We did the Haka but threw in our own words and a couple of Zulu Elders did some Zulu stuff. It looks very strange to me. You guys will get to see it when I get back home.

Saturday we had two very powerful lessons. One was with Daryll and Lianet again. We taught them the Law of Chastity with the Thomas' and it went very well. I love taking the Thomas' to appointments because they add such a powerful spirit to the lesson and it's even more special with Daryll since Brother Thomas used to be his Bishop.

The other lesson was with a guy named Booker. He is a referral who was at Church last week. We were just about to start but his wife had a friend there and his sister was in town so we ended up teaching the whole lesson to all of them. It was an amazing lesson and one of the best restoration lessons I've ever taught. I think his sister was ready to jump in the water and be baptized right then. Unfortunately she lives very far away. Booker and his wife are great though and I'm excited to keep teaching them.

One funny story was that at church on Sunday this little kid came and sat next to me. He was playing with my scriptures and planner the whole Sacrament meeting and then after it was over he reached into my pocket and snatched the car keys and ran off. He's so small that he could just duck in between people’s legs so I was chasing him through the halls and lost him. I finally found him in our car hooting the hooter. I was trying to drag him out while he's hanging onto the steering wheel - still hooting. I finally got everything back in order. It was stressful while it was happening but looking back it was funny.

That's about all I have for this week. It's been a great week and a great five months on the mission. I miss all of you a lot.

Ndyakuthanda (I love you)

Elder Kupka