Monday, May 5, 2014

Week 48

After emailing we went and played rugby. All of the Zone Leaders from the mission were in town for a conference so we had a huge game. It was just the thing I needed for some nice stress relief. I've really come to enjoy rugby and I think I'll try and play down at Snow when I get back.

Our only appointment dropped tonight and it was getting late so we had to leave Capricorn so we went for sushi and ended our day. We have to be out of townships by 8:00 pm on weekdays and 7:00 pm on weekends. It's for our protection but sometimes it stinks.

We started today with a lesson with Brother Benjamin and his wife. We read 1 Nephi 2 with them and it went well. Brother Benjamin asked how he can relate it to the Bible so he can share the Book of Mormon with his friends so we showed him the cross references at the bottom. He says it's perfect and he's going to share it with everyone now.

We also saw Brother Frank today and taught him about the Book of Mormon and extended him a baptism date. He was a bit hesitant and didn't accept the date but said he'll read from the Book of Mormon and keep praying and we'll see what happens. I'm sure he'll receive his answer and come around.

We taught a few other good lessons but this week is Elder Frietas' year mark so to celebrate we found a Brazilian rodizio restaurant and went out for dinner with our district and the Post Elders. Because it was “bring four people and one eats free”, we split the bill and had a great feast. It was pretty good food but not as good as Tucanos. It was more expensive but totally worth it.

Today was a public holiday which according to the white handbook is the perfect time to visit families. In reality however no one is home and those who are don't want to see us. We were able to get two of our appointments to hold after weekly planning. One was with Brother Chimonenji where we read from the Book of Mormon with them. The other was with the Gideons about fasting. Both lessons went very well and the Gideons are still on track to be baptized on the 25 of May.

We also contacted a referral named Reagan. He seems like a cool guy so far. We just talked for a bit but we’re going to start teaching him and he's actually cousins to the Smith family who are members of the Ward here. It wasn't the busiest of days but it was a productive one.

We had a Zone meeting today. We talked about revelation through prayer. I learned some new things and got some new ideas on how to teach it so that was nice. Afterwards we all went to Brother Mike’s for lunch and had Texan hash. Delicious as usual.

We were also on exchanges today.  I was with Elder Clarke in my area and we were able to see a lady who is going back to the Eastern Cape. She's been reading from the Book of Mormon; she's read the intro, all the testimonies and everything. We were able to answer her questions about the Book of Mormon and gave her some more pamphlets to read since we won't be able to teach her again. She's from a very rural area but she schools in Butterworth where there is a group who meets together but they don't have missionaries yet.

Our other lesson was with Brother Faison, also about the Book of Mormon. It went alright and he had a friend show up while we were teaching and he started sitting in and asking questions. We gave him a Book of Mormon and made a return appointment and I'm really excited for him. We finished the night at Brother Sam's place where we had a nice dinner with all six missionaries.

Things were really hard today. Everything was dropping, including correlation, so we were really struggling to find something to do. We had a lesson with the Gideons at 11:00 in the morning and then our next appointment that held was Brother Nabbie around 4:30.

We were able to contact a few people and set up appointments but one really cool experience is that we tried to see one of our recent converts but he wasn't home so as we were leaving we decided to take a different exit because of some guys who were drinking and smoking. As we did we ran into a little kid who knows us and we talked to him for a little bit but then two women came up and asked what we do. We told them that we are missionaries and they were very interested in hearing more and we scheduled a time where we can go meet with them.

It was incredible that at the end of a long day where nothing seemed to be going right we were still able to be exactly where we needed to be to find someone who is truly searching for the truth. I can't even count how many times this has happened and I know that there's no way it would be possible if it wasn't all part of God's plan.

Fast and testimony meeting was nice today, as usual. The Stake President, President Bell, was there because we got a new Elder’s Quorum President and High Priest group leader. I think that it might be in preparation for our new Branch because the old Elder’s Quorum President is staying in our area. Just a hypothesis but I hope it's true because I really want to see the Branch happen here.

After Church all of our appointments dropped until 5:00 so we went around following up on some people making new appointments. We were looking for one potential investigator who we didn't find but we found his neighbor who is from Zimbabwe and lives on the same street as the Church there and has visited before. He told us he'll come visit sometime and we got a return appointment.

We also followed up on Sister Sifa. She's doing well and had her baby and he's very healthy. We also have a time to go back and start seeing her again. At 5:00 we saw Brother James and read Alma 34 with him. He has such a strong testimony that what we say is true and he makes great insights every lesson. If he would just start coming to Church he would be baptized for sure and would help lead the rest of his Malawian friends to the true Church. It will happen but it will just take time.

We finished the day in the hospital to visit Elder Roelofze who we were told had meningitis but when we got there he said that he just had a really bad migraine and that he's fine now. We thought he was dying but apparently he's fine and will be out tomorrow.  It was so good to see him and keep him company for a bit.

All in all it was a good week and I hope more are to come - 

Elder Kupka