Monday, December 15, 2014

Week 79


Hello again,

This has been a great week and I am liking the new area already, but I don't have much to talk about this week.

Last Monday we played a lot of sports and then that night I cooked dinner for the Xangati family. There ended up being 15 people there. Luckily it all worked out and everyone got a good portion. I made chicken spaghetti and it was the first time I've ever cooked for so many people. I respect Grandma Eustice so much more now for making us dinner every Sunday. Shout out to her - I love her and miss her a lot!

Tuesday was spent saying good-byes to so many great people in Uitenhage. I shed a lot of tears. I was really sad to leave but Cape Town is awesome. It is such a beautiful city and there's so much to do. But there are seriously too many people here. I was getting anxiety the first day because I am not used to all of these people.

Panorama is a really nice area and has a super good ward. This Saturday we had the ward Christmas party. The primary did a program and then we ate some food and there was a Santa Claus. It was nice and I got to meet a lot of the ward.

One funny thing is that there was a family that I helped move a long time ago when I first got to Grassy Park. They moved from Mowbray to Panorama and now he's the ward mission leader so I'm going to be seeing a lot more of him but we didn't recognize each other at first.

Sunday was a pretty crazy day. We have two wards that meet in the same chapel. Ours starts at 9:00 am but it starts with Priesthood and then works backwards. Elder Dryer had been asked to teach priesthood and he also ended up saying the opening prayer and I lead the music. Then the second hour was gospel principles where I taught the lesson.

When we got to sacrament meeting they asked Elder Dryer and I to bless the sacrament. And if that wasn't enough we had gotten a phone call on Friday telling us that we would each be giving 10 minute talks. As I was preparing to bless the sacrament they told me that I would be the final speaker. So by the time it was my turn I had 25 minutes to fill up, which I did.

My talk was on sharing the gospel so it was super easy. But I did a really good job and surprised myself even. I guess it was cool to see how much I've grown on the mission. I wasn't the least bit nervous. Usually  my knees shake behind the pulpit but this time I was completely calm and normal. I was pretty happy with myself.

Otherwise things are good. I'm still learning the area and the people and my companion; just a bunch of different adjustments going on. I'll have more to write about next week. The first few weeks in a new area are always weird. Good thing I'll be transferred to the Provo, Utah home mission after this!

I love you all,
Elder Kupka



The Thsibo family

The Frans family with their neighbors

Elder Dryer