Monday, February 2, 2015

Week 86

This week has had a lot of ups and downs and we've really been all over the place; overall it was pretty solid though.

Last Monday Elder Dryer and I went to a place in Milnerton called Dale’s Black Angus which is a super nice restaurant. I got one of the best burgers I have ever eaten and it was 80 rand! Which is a lot here but if you think about it in dollars you can spend that at a fast food place easy. Elder Dryer got a plate full of different meats. There were 3 different boks, ostrich and warthog meat. He let me try some of it too and it was great.

This week we're going to the waterfront to celebrate Elder Kivley's birthday so I'm going to get something similar again tonight. We had a great meal and once we finished we got an SMS that our appointment dropped so we were pretty disappointed but it turned out to be a good thing because when we got out to start the car it wouldn't start. We called Elder Peterson to come and give our car a jump. Elder Peterson is a champ. He always has to come and try and fix our car problems. We need a new car.

We got the car started but then we had to drive it around to try and get the battery charged so after a bit of driving we ended up next to Milnerton beach so we decided to get out and take some pictures. I sent one of the beach this week and it was beautiful. We just took the pictures from the parking lot.

Then on Tuesday morning when we tried to start the car it was flat again! Luckily our neighbor’s wife was home so we asked her if we could jump our car with hers. She just handed us the keys and said to do it. We could have stolen her car but luckily we're good missionaries. We got our car started and then went and got our battery tested and then we got it replaced.

We had a pretty solid day after that and we got some good lessons in. That night we were starting exchanges. We meet at the chapel to start exchanges because it's half way between the boardings. When we got there the institute class had just ended and I got to see a few people from the Mowbray ward; Joseph and Hannah Macmillan and Crystal Danso. Hannah's going on a mission to Australia and Crystal is going to Temple Square. I'm super excited for both of them and it was so good to see all of them after 16 months since I left.

So Wednesday I was on exchanges with Elder Bell who is a great guy from England. Our first appointment of the day dropped and I was super disappointed. So we got in the car and I just started driving. There was a street that Elder Dryer and I had almost tracted a few weeks ago that I really wanted to try but we got a phone call and had to go somewhere else. So I went back with Elder Bell.

I parked in the exact same spot as the first time, we got out of the car, and I asked Elder Bell which house he wanted to start with. He chose the one to our right. We walk up to the door and it was open. We start talking to a couple inside through the gate and then they told us to come in. We kept talking and standing and they asked us to sit down. We introduced our message and started teaching them the Restoration. The Spirit was super strong and we taught a great Restoration lesson.

After we finished our message we started just talking with them and they had a few general questions about what we do and such. Through these questions we came to find out that when we had pulled up Wayne was going to close the door because he had seen us the first time Elder Dryer and I had come there and he thought that we were policy people trying to sell things. But then something told him to not close the door.

Then, as we entered, Arlene had the impression that she needs to pray and ask God about whatever message we share with them. Right as we had arrived they were having a deep conversation about families. They also said that it was a miracle that we caught them at home especially at the time that we did. The whole thing was miraculous because there is no way that it should have worked out but God places us where we need to be and He prepares the hearts of those we teach. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my mission.

Friday was a pretty sweet day as well. I received the package that the ward sent me and the Christmas card. Thank you so much to the ward; it was awesome!

We tried to contact a referral that we had received but a woman from the DRC answered the door instead. After we talked to her for a few minutes we found out that the person we were trying to see had moved so I told her what we do and invited her to learn with us. As soon as I said that she started telling me in English that she doesn't speak English so I asked her a few more questions in English and she responded in English but we finally just gave up and left.

We also had a lesson that night with a new family named the Pooles. We were having a really great lesson and the spirit was super strong but then as soon as we started talking about Joseph Smith things just went downhill. They were just not grasping what we were saying.  It was sad and they told us we can't come back until after the 24th. Not every lesson is a powerful one.

Saturday was Elder Dryer's birthday. I made him blueberry muffins that I had gotten from the ward package; we loved them and they tasted super good. But as we were going out to our area one of the warning lights came on in the car and all of the dealerships were closed. Our car is so annoying.

The rest of the day was decent but we had a few dropped appointments. We went and followed up with Michelle and her family and were able to have a lesson with her and her sons and make a return appointment. We also had a lesson with the Le Roux family about missionary work and then they fed us dinner for Elder Dryer's birthday. It was awesome and I love that family.

We also got our transfer news. Elder Dryer is headed to Mdantsane and I'm going to be training Elder Fonua and I'm pretty excited about that. Sunday was a nice day because fast and testimony meeting was really great. There's a man who is the nephew of one of the members and is staying with him and they all came to church together. He got up and bore his testimony. He is a very powerful guy and we got his information and we're going to start teaching him this week. I have really high hopes for him because he participated a lot in the Gospel Principles class.

We finished the day and the transfer at the Kruger’s house with a wonderful evening and a great meal. We sang some hymns and Elder Ah-Fua (who is Elder Fonua's cousin) is going home this week and he gave a nice spiritual thought. It was a pretty good week with lots of adversity in between.

The work is good and I'm excited for the coming transfer.

I love you all,
Elder Kupka

My burger

Milnerton Beach

The District

The LeRoux Family